Welcome to my blog! This blog contains essay, literature analyses, etc. all designed to help myself as well as others prepare for the AP Literature and Composition Test. Please feel free to read and do not hesitate in leaving any suggestions and comments! You can also contact me at parrajessica83@yahoo.com.
Don't forget to follow my blog!

Saturday, November 26, 2011

AP Literary Term: Simile

Definition: A simile is a figure of speech that compares two different things by linking them together with words such as "like" or "as."

  • Similes have a more profound impact when trying to explain something, rather than just stating it.
Example:
 -Sally runs really fast.
-Sally runs as fast as a cheetah.

*Similes can be mean, serious, funny, etc.

The following video and picture provide further examples of similes.








Difference Between Metaphors and Similes: 
A metaphor is an analogy that compares two different things in an imaginative way. It states what something is rather than what it is like.

Example:
-It is raining cats and dogs.
-The homework was a breeze.

5 comments:

  1. I think you selected a good variety of examples and they were very helpful. I think I'll remember the weasel one the most, just because the two guys are funny looking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great examples! I usually get confused on which one is the one with "like" or "as" but by looking at this, I now know which one it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the picture of the elephant it made me laugh but now I will not forget what a simile is. I can compare the simile and metaphor now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though the simile/metaphor picture is really simple, I loved it! It's so simple and clear. Good job on finding the pictures

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this is a really detailed post, I really like how you compared similes and metaphors. I also like all the examples you gave, good job Jessica this was well done!

    ReplyDelete