Welcome to my blog! This blog contains essay, literature analyses, etc. all designed to help myself as well as others prepare for the AP Literature and Composition Test. Please feel free to read and do not hesitate in leaving any suggestions and comments! You can also contact me at parrajessica83@yahoo.com.
Don't forget to follow my blog!

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Discussion Notes: Great Expectations (Ch 1-15)

We started by discussing how we each liked the novel so far. I personally like the novel so far. I can relate to the main character Pip which makes this novel a bit more enjoyable. Most of us seemed to agree that it was a little difficult to read but manageable. We then began discussing the literary techniques we found in the text. Some of them were:
-Theme: It is evident already that social class is going to be a major theme. Pip is ashamed of being common and  
            to become a "gentleman."
-Symbolism

  • The stopped clocks in Miss Havisham's home symbolize her unwillingness to let go of her past. 

-Tone
-Mood
-Point of View

  • The novel is told from Pips point of view. Pip tells the reader what he is feeling when something is happening. For example, he states being ashamed of being common.

-Diction

  • The novel is written in what I call "old English." The wording is not typical everyday English.

-Syntax

  • There are a lot of descriptions, so there are a lot of complex and long sentences. Sometimes, making it difficult to understand.

-Imagery

  • Alongside syntax, there is heavy description and detail. For example, the opening scene of the book. There is a detailed description of what the graveyard looks like. 

-Allusion

  • " Hamlet (pg 20). It refers to the ghost in Hamlet. It creates for a gloomy setting.

-direct characterization

  • "She was not a good looking woman, my sister; and I had a general impression that she must have made Joe Gargery marry her by hand. "
                 - This shows Miss Joe is an intimidating, scary person. 
  • "He was a fair man, with eyes of such a very undecided blue that may have somehow got mixed with their own whites."
                - Unlike his wife, Joe is a more calm, relaxed man.


    -indirect characterization

    • "And then I entered on a fearful catalogue of all the illnesses I had been guilty of, and all the times she had wished me in my grave, and I had contumaciously refused to go there..."
              - This shows Pip has a strong conscience and is aware when he's done something  wrong

      Our group assigned two literary techniques to each person. I did indirect and direct characterization.


      I feel like I can relate to Pip in the novel. Pip is looking to make a better life for himself. I am looking to make a good future for myself through my education by attending a university. Pip was looking to better himself through Miss Havisham. 

      No comments:

      Post a Comment