Welcome to my blog! This blog contains essay, literature analyses, etc. all designed to help myself as well as others prepare for the AP Literature and Composition Test. Please feel free to read and do not hesitate in leaving any suggestions and comments! You can also contact me at parrajessica83@yahoo.com.
Don't forget to follow my blog!

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

In Search Of

-I almost feel a little uncomfortable using the internet. I also feel a little cheated because I'm not getting the entire spectrum of an idea or subject when I look it up.


I started off by opening up three different tabs, each with a different search engine (Dogpile, Ask, duckduckgo). On each tab I typed in "Who was William Shakespeare?" I looked at each tab and saw that each one gave me different results. They had some similar articles so I looked at the ones they had in common and then to the ones that they didn't have in common. The one page that they did share in common was Shakespeare's Wikipedia page. I then picked one of the results from each search engine and use that to piece my information together. Each bullet point represents the main points of the three sources that I used. This is what I found:



  • Each of the sources that I used stated that there is not much information on him.  He attended grammar school in Stratford. He married Anne Hathaway and had three children with her. He lived a comfortable life money-wise, but was never wealthy. He is not only known for his plays but for his poetry (sonnets). Also,  that his authorship has always been questioned. He is highly recognized for his use of language. He had a tremendous vocabulary and is also known for his usage of puns.Something I did not know was that he collaborated with John Fletcher and together they wrote two plays.                                                                 -http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/Shakespeare,+William
  • He is thought to be the greatest dramatist of all time. This source gave an extensive critique on how all of his works have no "meaning." Many of his plays hint at things that happened to him or other throughout his life. For example, the death of Ophelia. It's never actually stated how she died, this reflects what happened to a women that lived in his village. This source mostly states where all of his inspirations came from.  Another small piece of information that I found was that he was a teacher for the Roman Catholic Houghton family.                                                                                                       -http://kirjasto.sci.fi/shakespe.htm
  • Shakespeare was born 1564 and died 1616. He was a poet, playwright, and an actor. He had seven siblings although only four of them survived to adulthood. His father was a prominent man in Stratford and was part of the town council. His mom inherited a lot of land from her father. Anne Hathaway, his wife, was eight years older than him. He made a great deal of money by purchasing leases of real estate near Stratford. He went to grammar school but never actually attended a university.                                         -http://absoluteshakespeare.com/trivia/biography/shakespeare_biography.htm
*Combining these three sources, I was able to gather information on his work, inspirations, and his personal life.

No comments:

Post a Comment